The latest local news

Dr. Dre deletes post bragging about daughter’s acceptance into USC after $70M donation backlash

WQAD News -

Hip-hop luminary Dr. Dre took to Instagram on Sunday to celebrate his daughter’s acceptance to the University of Southern California and throw shade at other rich families caught up in a national admissions scandal.

The rapper, whose real name is Andre Young, posted a picture with his daughter, Truly Young, and her acceptance letter to the school.

“My daughter got accepted into USC all on her own,” the rapper wrote in the caption. “No jail time!!!!”

Dre’s comment was a thinly veiled reference to the college admissions scandal in which dozens of parents are facing federal charges after accusations they cheated to get their children accepted to prestigious schools, including USC.

But critics were quick to point out in the comments of Dre’s post that his daughter’s acceptance to the university came just a few years after he and producer Jimmy Iovine made a $70 million donation to the school.

Dre and Iovine made the donation in 2013 to establish the Jimmy Iovine and Andre Young Academy for Arts, Technology and the Business of Innovation, according to a university press release at the time.

By Sunday afternoon, Dre had deleted the post.

Woman wins child support for her 50-year-old daughter

WQAD News -

CARLSBAD, Calif. – A North San Diego County woman was awarded child support from her ex-husband nearly 50 years after she says he left her with a young daughter.

Toni Anderson makes no apologies for going after the man she calls her “deadbeat ex” some 50 years after he left her with their 3-year-old daughter.

Anderson says her ex-husband chose to go to Canada rather than pay court ordered child support in the early 1970s.

“I kind of put it on the back burner and just kind of forgot about it over the years,” said Anderson. She supported her daughter while working as an interior designer in Los Angeles at a firm her daughter now runs.

“I’m not negating the fact I was able to send my daughter to college, Paris. We traveled and had a good time. But the money runs out.”

Anderson admits she rents her part of the house. And now that she’s retired money is tight. Then it dawned on her.

“I realized in the middle of the night one night last year, ‘Hey, there’s no statute of limitations on child support.'”

“I realized in the middle of the night one night last year, ‘Hey, there’s no statute of limitations on child support.'”

Anderson looked up old court papers and last month notified her ex-husband, who’s now living in Oregon: she wanted him to pay up. But the amount she was seeking now was way beyond what he was asked to pay nearly a half-century ago.

“He was only supposed to give me like a $160 a month. Well, that was 50 years ago. That today is a lot more money.”

With accrued interest of 10 percent a year, what would have been a total payment of some $30,000 is now more than $170,000.

“I don’t think enough women get this. And I think they’re afraid.”

Along with getting what she’s due, Anderson wants to the spread the word to other single parents in California: You can still collect. And to those who skipped out, her message is for them to watch out.

“I think he’s a little bit panicked.,” said Anderson of her husband’s reaction to her pursuit. “And I’m very happy because I was panicked all these years. Now, it’s his turn.”

Toni Anderson’s lawyer, Sara Yunus, Esq., an Associate Attorney for Antonyan Miranda, LLP, tells KGTV a private hearing in Vista Court Wednesday resulted in a settlement of $150,000.

KGTV also reached out to her ex-husband’s attorney. There has been no response.

French Muslim group sues Facebook and YouTube over Christchurch video

WQAD News -

(CNN) — A group representing Muslims in France is suing Facebook and YouTube over the broadcast of a video showing the mass shootings at two mosques in New Zealand on March 15.

The French Council of the Muslim Faith (CFCM) has filed legal papers against the two tech companies over their response to a video of the terror attack in the city of Christchurch, in which 50 people were killed.

CFCM President Ahmet Ogras told CNN that the organization is taking legal action against Facebook for not removing the video fast enough.

“This not admissible, Facebook must take their part of responsibility in this and must do everything to anticipate these livestreams, as much as [they do with] hate messages and Islamophobia on their networks,” Ogras told CNN.

Abdallah Zekri, president of the Observation Center Against Islamophobia, which is part of the CFCM, confirmed the legal action targets the French offices of both Facebook and YouTube.

“We can’t have these videos online just like movies of shootings … YouTube and Facebook must take measures to avoid this in the future,” Zekri told CNN.

The council has filed a complaint with prosecutors in Paris and said it is suing Facebook and YouTube for “broadcasting a message with violent content abetting terrorism, or of a nature likely to seriously violate human dignity and liable to be seen by a minor,” according to the AFP news agency, which received a copy of the complaint.

Under French law this is punishable by up to three years’ jail time and a €75,000 ($85,000) fine.

Facebook didn’t immediately respond to CNN’s request for comment Monday. In a statement in the wake of the attack, Mia Garlick, Facebook’s director of policy for Australia and New Zealand, said: “New Zealand Police alerted us to a video on Facebook shortly after the livestream commenced and we quickly removed both the shooter’s Facebook and Instagram accounts and the video.”

A spokesman for YouTube declined to comment on the complaint and referred CNN to its previous statements. Following the attack, a Google spokesperson told CNN that YouTube removes “shocking, violent and graphic content” as soon as it is made aware of it. YouTube declined to comment at the time on how long it took to first remove the video.

A spokesman for the CFCM told CNN that if the tech companies do pay a fine as a result of the complaint, they would like families of the victims of the Christchurch attack to share the money.

The footage was widely shared on social media and tech companies came in for criticism over their handling of the video.

In a statement on its website, Facebook said it had removed 1.5 million videos of the attack in the first 24 hours after the shooting. It blocked 1.2 million of them at upload, meaning they would not have been seen by users. Facebook didn’t say how many people had watched the remaining 300,000 videos.

On March 18, New Zealand’s Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern, said tech companies have “a lot of work” to do to curb the proliferation of content that incites hate and violence.

Iowa-bound I-74 bridge reduced to one lane

WQAD News -

BETTENDORF- Beginning March 26 the Iowa-bound I-74 bridge will be reduced to one lane. A press release from the Iowa Department of Transportation outlines the traffic changes.

Drivers heading into downtown Bettendorf need to take Exit 4 to Grant Street/U.S. 67.

To get back onto I-74, follow the detour signs to 14th Street and turn left onto Kimberly Road, then right on Middle Road to access the westbound 1-74 ramp.

Trucks need to take Kimberly Road to Spruce Hills Road to access westbound I-74.

The traffic reroute is expected to last through May 2019. Drivers need to be careful as they move through construction zones. Anyone traveling on I-74 or Kimberly Road should plan for longer commutes and watch out for construction workers.

 

Two Parkland shooting survivors and Sandy Hook father die in apparent suicides

WQAD News -

(CNN) — A father dedicated to helping prevent mass shootings after his daughter was killed in the Sandy Hook massacre has died of an apparent suicide.

The body of Jeremy Richman was found in his Connecticut office building Monday morning, Newtown police said.

His death is the third suicide in the past week related to school massacres.

Richman, 49, was the father of 6-year-old Avielle Richman, who was among 20 children and six adults killed in the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.

Police said they “will not disclose the method or any other details” of Richman’s death, other than it does not appear to be suspicious.

Parkland grieves 2 suicides a year after massacre

In Florida, mourners are grieving the death of Sydney Aiello, a 2018 graduate of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School who died by suicide last week. She survived the attack on Valentine’s Day 2018 that killed 17 people at the school in Parkland.

Aiello, a Florida Atlantic University student, suffered from survivor’s guilt and had been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder, her mom told CNN affiliate WFOR.

Then on Saturday, a second Marjory Stoneman Douglas student died in what police describe as “an apparent suicide.”

The student has not been publicly identified. It’s not clear under what circumstances the student died, or whether the apparent suicide was related to last year’s massacre.

Father was a force for change

After the Sandy Hook massacre, Richman tried to help make sure shootings like the one that killed his daughter wouldn’t happen again.

The neuroscientist co-founded the The Avielle Foundation, which calls attention to mental health issues through research and community engagement.

“The Avielle Foundation’s mission is two-sided. On the one side we have research. We are funding neuroscience research aimed at understanding the brain’s chemistry, structure, and circuits that lead to violence and compassion,” the foundation’s website states.

The other side is “focused on community education and engagement.”

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, here’s how to get help: In the US, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. The International Association for Suicide Prevention and Befrienders Worldwide also can provide contact information for crisis centers around the world.

Michael Avenatti charged with extortion and wire, bank fraud

WQAD News -

LOS ANGELES (AP) — U.S. prosecutors have charged President Donald Trump critic and attorney Michael Avenatti with extortion and bank and wire fraud.

A spokesman for the U.S. attorney in Los Angeles said Avenatti was arrested March 25 in New York.

Spokesman Ciaran McEvoy says the lawyer best known for representing porn actress Stormy Daniels in lawsuits against President Donald Trump faces federal charges in New York and California.

In New York, he was accused of threatening to use his ability to get publicity to harm Nike. Prosecutors say he demanded that the apparel company give him $10 million.

Prosecutors in California planned to release more details at a news conference later Monday.

Avenatti represented Daniels, whose real name is Stephanie Clifford, in a lawsuit to break a confidentiality agreement to speak about her alleged affair with Trump.

Warming on track in the days ahead… Big rains likely before the weekend

WQAD News -

Flood warnings continue along several area rivers including the Mississippi and Rock. Crests are occurring now and will continue this week. Be prepared for road closures and detours in these areas. For more information on river levels go to https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=DVN

The broken cloudiness this morning has given way to full blown sun this afternoon.  Still, a light jacket is in order as a northeast breeze will not allow temperatures to get out of the 40s.  This will lead to a frosty night with lows in the 20s under clear skies.

By Tuesday, temperatures will inch up a bit more before we take a giant leap in numbers both Wednesday and Thursday with highs in the 60s.

However, these warm steering winds aloft will also carry waves of energy in the form of showers and thunderstorms.  The best coverage is later Friday into Friday night before cooler 40s spill in and dry things out for the upcoming weekend.  The big concern will be the possibility of heavy rainfall with a small handful of computer models hinting around 1 to 2 inches for parts of the area.  Naturally, this will aggravate the smaller rivers and tributaries even more.  The track will be the key.

Chief  meteorologist James Zahara

Download the News 8 Weather App — for iOS, click here and for Android, click here

Download the free News 8 App — for iOS, click here and for Android, click here

70-year-old man reported missing south of the Quad Cities

WQAD News -

LITTLE SWAN LAKE, Illinois — A 70-year-old man has been reported missing south of the Quad Cities area and the public is being asked to come forward with any information.

Marty Thurman was reported missing on Saturday, March 23, according to a statement from the Warren County Sheriff’s Department.   His family members reported him missing; he was last seen at his home on Friday evening.

The sheriff’s department said Thurman’s car was found Saturday morning at the Little Swan Lake club house.

Little Swan Lake is located about 70 miles south of the Quad Cities.

“Search and water rescue teams were in the area Saturday and Sunday,” said the statement from the sheriff’s department.   Search efforts were expected to resume on Monday.

Authorities say no foul play is suspected.

If you have any information, you are asked to call the Warren County Sheriff’s Office at 309-734-8505 or the Monmouth Dispatch center at 309-734-8383.

 

‘My God is awesome!’: Grandmother’s prayer closet withstands E4 tornado in Alabama

WQAD News -

LEE COUNTY, Ala. – Recovery efforts continue in Alabama where an E4 tornado touched down earlier this month, destroying everything in its path.

But, there was one thing that managed to withstand the powerful storm: a grandmother’s prayer closet.

Chaplain Jason Smith was out with Billy Graham’s Rapid Response Team when he made the discovery, according to 11 Alive.

He wrote about it on Facebook saying the whole family survived.

“Are you kidding me? My God is awesome! Shout somebody!” he said.

The post has now been shared more than 96,000 times.

 

Trump signs proclamation marking Israel’s sovereignty over Golan Heights

WQAD News -

(AP) — President Donald Trump has signed a proclamation recognizing Israel’s sovereignty over the Golan Heights.

The document reverses more than a half-century of U.S. policy as Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu visited the White House.

Trump had previewed the move in a tweet last week that it was time for the U.S. to take the step after 52 years of Israeli control of the strategic highlands on the border with Syria.

Netanyahu has pressed for such recognition for months. Trump’s action gives him a political boost just weeks before what’s expected to be a close Israeli election.

Israel captured the Golan from Syria in the 1967 Mideast war but its sovereignty over the territory is not recognized by the international community.

Watch Live: President Trump hosts Prime Minister of Israel at White House

WQAD News -

(CNN) — President Donald Trump will provide Benjamin Netanyahu both temporary refuge from ongoing scandal and a de facto campaign venue at the White House when he hosts the embattled Israeli prime minister for talks Monday.

The meeting, which was announced last week, comes as Netanyahu faces new allegations of corruption, which are piled on top of accusations he used his position for personal gain.

Legal plights have been a shared burden for Trump and Netanyahu over the past several years. But Trump is entering the week with some of his troubles lifted: special counsel Robert Mueller has ended his investigation and found no evidence Trump or his associates colluded with Russia, according to the attorney general.

The investigation was less determinative on whether Trump obstructed justice. But nevertheless the President plans to use the conclusion to ambush Democrats and his opponents for leading a fruitless probe.

In mounting his own self-defense, Netanyahu has employed some of the same tactics as Trump, decrying his accusers as politically motivated, lambasting “fake news” and even using the term “witch hunt” to describe the various corruption cases.

The claims of misconduct come as he’s facing the toughest re-election bid of his political career. Trump discarded past US practice by agreeing to meet with Netanyahu within weeks of election day.

Initially scheduled over two days, including dinner with Trump on Tuesday evening, Netanyahu announced on Monday he was cutting his trip short to return home after a rocket fired from Gaza struck a house in central Israel.

But even the truncated visit is meant to bolster his political standing in Israel, where Trump remains popular. Already, the President has handed Netanyahu a victory: declaring his intention to formally recognize the contested Golan Heights — considered Israeli-occupied territory by the international community — as part of the state of Israel.

Trump made the announcement on Twitter last week, and is expected to formalize it during Netanyahu’s visit.

At the same time Netanyahu is meeting Trump at the White House, his main opponent in the April elections, retired Army chief of staff Benny Gantz, will be addressing the yearly conference of the American Israeli Public Affairs Committee, held at the Washington Convention Center across town.

Netanyahu was also scheduled to address the gathering on Tuesday but his announced return to Israel will preclude him making an appearance that has been a traditional centerpiece of the conference. US Democrats this year have been reckoning with whether to appear at AIPAC, which has come under criticism for advocating against the Iran nuclear deal.

In recent weeks, Trump has harshly criticized his political opponents as being anti-Israel, citing comments he claims are anti-Semitic. In addition to aiding Netanyahu in his election bid, the Golan Heights move also appeared designed to give Trump a boost among pro-Israel voters in the US.

“The Democrats have very much proven to be anti-Israel, and it’s a disgrace,” Trump claimed on Friday morning at the White House. “I don’t know what has happened to them, but they are totally anti-Israel. Frankly, I think they are anti-Jewish.”

Trains Expert: Amtrak project dependent on Illinois capital bill

WQAD News -

DECATUR, Illinois-- An expert on trains says passenger rail funding will need to be re appropriated in this year's capital bill.

A state senate subcommittee met in the city Monday, March 18 to talk about what could be put in the bill. Friday, February 15, State House Rep Tony McCombie released this statement to News 8.

"Rep Halpin, along with Senator Anderson, and myself believe in the project, however the State has already allocated these funds in previous fiscal year budgets. Since the funds have already been promised, they should be outside of any capital plan drafted this session."

Rick Harnish of the Midwest High Speed Rail Association, says there will be even more of a holdup on the Amtrak project, if the funding isn't re appropriated though, in a capital bill.

"This is the opportunity to persuade [Governor J.B.] Pritzker's administration and your local lawmakers that you want trains," he said Thursday, February 14 during our Breakfast With interviews. 

The subcommittee is meeting at Bradley University in Peoria Monday, April 8. That's the closest they're meeting to the Quad Cities. The group's also meeting in Chicago, Tuesday, April 16 and Elgin, later in April.

Pages

Subscribe to Danville Telco aggregator - The latest local news